We're trying to watch the World Cup however we can!
Here's my friend Guiselle holding up a portable TV and trying to find reception. Hold it right there, Guiselle.
You know, France, Mexico, the US are all out. This hurts. FIFA is hurting me. Even host South Africa is out? Who do you root for in this case? Uruguay, Paraguay, Argentina and Chile are all still in it. Hooray for South America.
We always talk about the power of sport to bring people together for a beautiful thing. That is touchy-feely and Awesome (i mean it actually is awesome),
but then there's this whole other side of it. I see more people fishing for things to hate about a country just so they can root against them. Sport still has that same power of bringing people together, but now it is for evil. Mexicans are too proud. The French are, well, the French. Holland wears orange even though its not in their flag and that is dumb. Brazil always wins. Germany, well, we know what Germany did. but that was 60 years ago, folks. Portugal fakes fouls too much, Spain is a country of conquerors, etc. With such negative outlooks on life, I wonder how these people get through life! Its miserable.
Im going to start Googling "things to love about" whatever countries are playing. I admit I wanted to Google "things to hate about Ghana" on Saturday, but that was only because I dont really believe (read: dont have the global political awareness to know) that there is anything possibly hateable about Ghana. They seem nice. They play hard. They beat us every 4 years. Nothing to start a genocide over.
And, no matter what my work obligations are, Im going to continue watching every game, however, wherever I can.
Hope you caught the fever.
Jabulani.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment