matter because nothing is linear and I was about done with that story
about the bus jerks. I was going to say, they seem to be good old
friends with the driver, but I have no idea why he would listen to
this person telling him to hurry up. It's annoying. It's only happened
a couple of times, so I'm hoping it goes away.
Today, out of the bus window (I take the bus way too often here.) I
watched one girl offer her friend a piece of gum. The friend took it
without really considering what it was, and I laughed at first at how
that could be the worst piece of gum ever and the second girl would
have still accepted just because it was offered. See, for a while I
found myself cursed with packs of gum that suffered too much humidity,
but I continued to chew it, and I had to offer It to people because
that is expected with gum, so I always worried about if I should tell
them that this was terrible gum. Sometimes I did and sometimes I
didn't, but they always took it and chewed it because I was offering,
and you have to accept offers here always. Then it hit me. Crap! If
one kid offers another kid a joint, they're going to smoke it together
without question because if you don't have the strength to turn down a
bad stick of gum, how are you going to come up with it to say, "no, I
don't smoke"? Dang it.
I had a bunch of things i wasnted to write about, really. did you ever
notice that it takes longer to eat an apple if you slice it than it
does if you just bite into a whole apple? Maybe I feel the hurry just
to get it out of my hand because Im not a multi-tasker. I dont know.
But I always have to think about this when Im about to eat an apple.
Greetings:
there are various forms of greetings here, and I thought I should
share them with you. because it seems like there are rules. it goes
like this.
If I see a woman on the street, I typically say "adios" and she says
adios to me too. and we keep walking. Unless its morning, or I want to
start a conversation. Then I have to say, "buenas."
If I see a random guy on the street, I say "esooooo" which means
something like "that's what im talking about", or I just throw out a
vowel-filled syllable, "aoouh". Something like that. If I know the
guy, I say his name first. He says my name. Then I ask "Todo Bien?"
and he replies, "Tuanis" or "Pura Vida".
Todo bien = all good?
Tuanis = Too Nice
Pura Vida = just livin'
but I refuse to say Pura Vida because im not a tourist and i dont have
a beer in my hand, and people seem to laugh when i say it because im
the foreigner saying something so local. so i stick with todo bien.
im loving living with my family right now. Last night i sat down and
ate with mom, and then when dad got home, i sat down with him while he
ate. the whole time they just talked about their lives, and having no
idea what the other one had talked about, they both talked about
vulnerable, heavy things that they think about or that had happened in
their day, and i just sat there totally interested. im so happy that i
live with a young family that has some interest in the rest of the
world and is still trying to figure out/improve their lives. they are
fascinating people.
this week ive been listening to a lot of sermons on podcast. its been
super awesome, but just sermons dont cut it. i really need some
Christian friends down here, who live close. its difficult.
I was going to say a while ago that these sermons and the things i see
in real life and the music i listen to and the books i read are all
super inspiring, and i think for the first time in a long time, i have
enough free time to think about what im going to do to fill my time,
and i have to be creative without a bike, a soccer team, a ton of
friends, or a computer. so ive been really inspired with all these fun
creative ideas. but recently, im sort of lacking either the energy or
the company to do any of it.
Im procrastinating on fun stuff. And that is weird. Its all bottled
up. So, I have to get out and do it. You'll see. I will.
What else can I tell you? I worked at the school one day organizing a
bunch of books that they received in a donation. But a bunch of the
books had mold and water damage. That's ridiculous. Who donates books
with mold? Now I have an allergy sinus thing because I spent all this
time throwing away nasty books. Way to be a friend, donors. Anyway,
sooner or later, this school will have a library. and someone to read
to the kids.
And this school will have a little garden soon.
I hope you are all doing well and living up to your potential.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Also, a big hooray to all my friends who are celebrating/mourning
their last day at Generations Incorporated. You make Boston a better
place.
Josh
No comments:
Post a Comment