Greetings from Ithaca
Peter, York and I just spent most of WEdnesday, Thursday and this morning here in Ithaca New York, visiting friends Matt, Rebekah, and their young son Holden. WE have had a great time drinking yerba mate at a cafe owned by a cult, climbing mountains around town on our super light unloaded bikes, and cooking delicious food in their little apartment.
Our first day we sort of explored the town with Rebekah, Holden and a 3 year old friend, Liam who insisted on peeing on public trees and swimming naked in a swimming hole. We all ate brownies and Holden spilled a drink on my lap. a good afternoon.
That night, Matt invited me to play in a soccer game with his team. York told me that if I hurt myself he would kill me, but the worst damage done was an own goal I scored. Sorry matt's team. We won regardless. Yesterday we just did laundry, went to a bike shop, ate good local food and toured around cornell university, where Matt is studying for his Master's in Engineering. WE tried to visit a farmer's market but it is closed for the summer. We vowed to visit an "outlaw bike shop" but then we never saw the need, so we filled up on paella, made impromptu music with whatever we had in our hands, and fell asleep in the 95 degree apartment heat.
Today we say goodbye to Peter as he drives to Buffalo and flies home from there. His time with us was great. Not only did he treat us well, he taught us valuable things about what needs to get done while touring to make touring better. For example, getting as many miles done in the mornings before the heat, and eating ice cream in the afternoon during the heat. The man is a genius.
While he gets to drive, York and I will be riding bikes to Buffalo. It should take a few days before we get out of the finger lakes region, arrive in Niagara Falls, and cross the border into Canada for a short trip to detroit.
We imagine it will take us a week and a half. I'll let you know how its been then.
I love you tons. Share the road.
Friday, September 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wish I had known you were leaving today...I have family in Canandaigua, about 70 miles from Ithaca and right by the lake.
Hope all is well on the road.
I'm so jealous, mainly that you get to be on the open road and experiencing things that most people will never be able to. You guys are awesome. Keep pedaling and working on those tan lines. I love you two.
-GK
If you ain't got a motor, I ain't share'n not'n!!! You hippies!!!
Post a Comment