Thursday, April 12, 2007

Pneumus




This week was great. York and I did some shopping, enjoyed a few local parks with PBJ picnic lunches and got to see another soccer game. Chivas tied with another cross town team 2-2, and both teams played horribly, but he and I still enjoyed the experience.
I enjoyed my last few days in Guadalajara. Especially Tuesday night. If you ever plan on coming to Guadalajara, make sure you spend a Tuesday night in the Kaffe Haus. You don't have to speak a word of Spanish. Why? Because Pneumus is a "silent" band. They started out as a normal band, just hanging out and playing some sweet jazz. Then it happened. A man came out of nowhere to silently scold/instruct the audience until they had given their entire attention to the band. Then this man's "pupil" appeared and accompanied the music with drawings of shipwrecks, mechanical eyes, runaway trains, eventually transforming through his silent storytelling into one of the characters in the tale. The band played the part as well, swaying to the rythm of the sea, screeching to an imaginary stop in unison, even putting on goggles, speedos and swim caps as they plunged into the water. It was an incredible mixture of music, art, and performance. The instruments spanned from the traditional to the spectacular. From trompets and upright bass to ice cube trays, squeaky toys, and knotted up plastic tubing.
It was a live silent film with drawings. This is the type of band you hope doesn't ever go mainstream, but that all your friends make the effort to go see. Every Tuesday. Kaffe Haus. Guadalajara. Pneumus.
I don't have much else to say. Today I go to visit friends in Mexico City. If you know them, don't tell them. Its a surprise.

No comments: