Friday, February 12, 2010

eleven months.

It's over and done with, it's over and done with...

I'm done with these eleven months. On February 11, 2010, I completed
this much time living in this country, and although it's gone fast, I
feel like it went slow. I spent a lot of time doing nothing, and yet I
have so many memories, there are so many wonderful things Ive been
doing, I've learned so many things. If anything, I've discovered new
stories and much more poetry. I'm elated.

But this isn't a nostalgic post. This is over. Poof. Behind me.

This week school started. A whole new world started. It's time to get
organized and go. It doesn't matter if the iphone has a virus or the
seven year old has a high voice. Make a schedule and follow it because
we're about to skydive into busyland.

I'm excited because I have some serious things established in my
community. I'll be teaching high school kids English a few times a
week, we'll be painting the mural any minute now, my host mom/computer
teacher is gung-ho about the school garden (and everything that goes
into it), soccer is starting up again and I'm healthy, UN University
for Peace students are going to start volunteering in town, we've
recruited girls and facilitators for two separate anti-violence/ self-
esteem courses, I'm finding cheap trees, the compost bin is starting
to get filled up, I found a church and free French film showings, the
new soccer court just got new goals, the hydroponic lettuce farmer
invited me to come experiment with him, we're making slight progress
on the Indigenous tournament, the anti-violence network is in full
swing, the corner store is going to start giving discounts to
customers who bring their own bag, recycling bins are about to be
ready for schools, we're experimenting with filtering and reuse of
water, a new volunteer group is about to come in, donated uniforms
might arrive, the orange festival is next week, I'm going to go on
camping trips and bike rides, then baby showers, birthdays, weddings,
trips home, family and friends visit. Eventually, I'll turn 29, and
before you know it, it's October, flooding season, count down until
the end of the school year, another eleven months pass and we figure
out if we want to do it all again.

Finally, today I threw in about half a banana per avocado into the
guacamole I made, and it tasted delicious. In the past few months,
I've also tried kiwi, mango, pineapple, pear, and honey, which have
all tasted excellent (one at a time) mixed in with the regular:
tomatoes, sweet pepper, garlic, cilantro, onion, salt and lime.

I think guacamole is my favorite food.

OK. Now tell me how you're doing. I miss you.

1 comment:

AdamK said...

Long time no talk Josh. I'm excited to read that things are good with you and the guacamole is sustaining you (Leah makes a mean guac if you ever return to snowy Maine).

Though I've been bad about communicating, you've been in my thoughts and prayers. I miss the time that you, Nate, and I shared at the Bagel Cafe. I'd mail you a bagel for old times sake, but it would probably be stale by the time it arrived (and nowhere near as good as fresh guacamole).

It's good catch up on your life through the blog. Take care and I look forward to really catching up sometime soon.

Adam