Friday, October 23, 2009

San Jose!

They're building a new stadium in the Central park of San Jose. It
will become the new national stadium for soccer games and all that.
China donated the materials and also the labor. I walked into the
construction site, sadly armed only with a cell phone camera, and was
surprised to see hundreds of Chinese men in matching maroon overalls
and orange hard hats working with steel beams, smoking cigarettes, and
manning a bunch of booths which appeared to be like Williamsburg style
blacksmith shops over open fire. There were a bunch of handmade signs
in perfect Chinese caligraphy and a bunch of other cool little things
that I should have taken pictures of, but didn't because I was
overwhelmed by the feeling that I just walked back in time to a WWII
ship yard or something. It was beautiful.

As I walked away from the stadium, through the park to my bus, I
discovered the final picture in the collection. It states, in Spanish
obviously, "it is prohibited to learn to drive in the park. " if only
I could live in this park forever.

No comments: