Lessons learned:
-It takes about 2 hours for 2 guys to open 10 sealed metal bins, if all you have are machetes and metal rods.
-Blisters on the palm of your hand suck. Do you remember when I posted that picture of York's on this blog years ago? Sorry buddy.
-If you're desperate to lift weights, you can bench press a pole with a six year old sitting on it.
- I can't just do a pull-up whenever I want to. Conditions have to be right.
-Not every gift is really well thought out, but it can be well received, such as the children's hat that a counterpart dusted off and presented to me as we were cleaning out a storage closet the other day.
-no need to look for projects, and if you don't want to do it, don't mention doing it.
-Fun size chocolate bars make awesome gifts, unless you leave them in the pocket of your raincoat and mice find them.
-Saturday and Sunday should be days off, but they're not.
-Turns out, dancing is a form of conflict resolution. (this hasn't been tested on adults yet)
-Just wear your helmet and get over it.
-no need to look for projects, and if you don't want to do it, don't mention doing it.
-Fun size chocolate bars make awesome gifts, unless you leave them in the pocket of your raincoat and mice find them.
-Saturday and Sunday should be days off, but they're not.
-Turns out, dancing is a form of conflict resolution. (this hasn't been tested on adults yet)
-Just wear your helmet and get over it.
-people might flake out, which is a bummer, buy what's worse is dealing with the consequences alone.
-I can walk into my room, think "this place is a mess", spend an hour cleaning, folding, straightening, and then end up putting everything back exactly where I found it.
-No matter how many things you need to get done, there's no excuse that can get you out of watching a 90s Kung Fu movie on a Friday afternoon.
-No one will care about how dirty I feel. I will never worry about how dirty they feel.
-You can put on a brown shirt, but it doesn't make you rugged.
-There are a lot of grocery stores in this country.
-Krysta was right. I probably don't need to start carrying nunchucks to defend myself from dogs.
-Take five people and choose the one you like the least. God will probably partner you right up with that guy.
-I can identify sounds and I can identify colors, but smells? Nothing. How would you teach that?
-That random building is a church. And in it, they happen to be having a meeting about recycling, reforestation, youth programs, and their connections with international non-profits. Oh. And if you introduce yourself, they'll take you on a hike. (This actually happened.)
-You Can love Israel And recognize its mistakes at the same time.
-The small schools movement would do well internationally.
-Dental hygiene is alright.
-1 week = 8 days. 2 weeks = 15 days. 3 weeks = 22 days. Go figure.
This list could go on forever.
-I can walk into my room, think "this place is a mess", spend an hour cleaning, folding, straightening, and then end up putting everything back exactly where I found it.
-No matter how many things you need to get done, there's no excuse that can get you out of watching a 90s Kung Fu movie on a Friday afternoon.
-No one will care about how dirty I feel. I will never worry about how dirty they feel.
-You can put on a brown shirt, but it doesn't make you rugged.
-There are a lot of grocery stores in this country.
-Krysta was right. I probably don't need to start carrying nunchucks to defend myself from dogs.
-Take five people and choose the one you like the least. God will probably partner you right up with that guy.
-I can identify sounds and I can identify colors, but smells? Nothing. How would you teach that?
-That random building is a church. And in it, they happen to be having a meeting about recycling, reforestation, youth programs, and their connections with international non-profits. Oh. And if you introduce yourself, they'll take you on a hike. (This actually happened.)
-You Can love Israel And recognize its mistakes at the same time.
-The small schools movement would do well internationally.
-Dental hygiene is alright.
-1 week = 8 days. 2 weeks = 15 days. 3 weeks = 22 days. Go figure.
This list could go on forever.
Oh, it's Halloween. Exactly two years ago, I was on a bus to Boston. In debt, nowhere to live, and about to start a volunteer position that paid less than minimum wage.
I'm living the dream.
3 comments:
So, I'm pretty excited that Chris and I will be living in the same country as you once again begining in March. What are the chances, I mean, really? But I'm cool with that! See you in a couple of months!
Hey! Write a new post already. Your silence is not appreciated.
How about another bus back to Boston? Is that possible?
Post a Comment