Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Home!

So, I spend a lot of time in this beautiful building because it is my
house! Not only that, but this humble abode is also my favorite
classroom. Where else do the teachers outnumber the students 11:1?
(yeah, eleven to one, but don't worry, not always all at once).

Being at home so far has been the best part of this experience. It's
where I learn the culture, the language, the food, the problems of the
community (from a handful of POVs), gender roles, and just about
everything else.

Besides being my favorite teachers, these 11 are also my support, my
friends, my soccer buddies, my safety net, my motivation, and just
about the most caring, generous people on the face of the earth. It's
ridiculously good.

This house is located in the town of Patarra, county of Desamparados,
region San Jose, Costa Rica. My actual address is this, translated to
English: 75 meters to the east of bar uniespana.

I don't know you would ever find the actual house, because there are
no street names, but I know you can find patarra on google maps or
google earth. That is pretty impressive. In satellite view, you will
see, there is quite a bit of green space around patarra. This weekend,
my first free one in town, I plan to explore that.

As much as I've said I love this place, I feel like I just don't spend
enough time here. It's a busy life, and I plan to expand on that in
the next post shortly.

I love you. if I haven't told you that recently enough, I apologize.

Talk to you soon.

1 comment:

michelle said...

so, my gramma enjoys your blog. nice work!